How Do I Find a Good Car Accident Lawyer?
Finding a good car accident lawyer starts with looking for a legal professional who you think can take your case and help you pursue financial recovery for your losses. As you start your search, keep in mind that a lawyer’s skill level and experience with car accident cases are important. There are various ways to go about your search.
Types of Research You Can Do
To find a good lawyer, you can do the following:
- As the American Bar Association (ABA) notes, you can start with checking in with trusted friends, family members, or colleagues to see if they know of any attorneys who handle car accident cases. Getting an opinion from people you know could put you ahead in your search.
- Go online and search for car accident lawyers. Look at their reviews for the services they (or their law firm) provide. Client testimonials can give you an idea of what it is like to work with the lawyer you are interested in hiring.
If a car accident left you with serious injuries, medical bills, a damaged or destroyed vehicle, and lost income, you may want to hire a lawyer who can help you with an insurance claim or lawsuit. Through these methods, you may be able to recover compensation.
For a free legal consultation, call (855) 605-2959
What to Do When You Have a List of Lawyers to Consider
Once you have the names and numbers of a few lawyers, you can now take a closer look at their skills, qualifications, track record, and more. Many law firms offer free initial consultations during which you can speak to a representative about your situation.
As you weigh your options, you can ask about:
- How involved the named partner or senior partner will be in your case
- What a prospective lawyer’s success rate is with car accident cases
- How long do they expect your case to take
- If they can take your case to court if needed
- How much they charge, and how they receive payment (e.g., a flat rate, an hourly rate, retainer, or a contingency fee agreement)
- What you can expect when working with them and/or their legal team
Write down your questions so that you can ask them during your consultation.
Keep the Statute of Limitations in Mind When Choosing a Lawyer
The state’s statute of limitations sets a deadline for how long people have to file personal injury lawsuits. In car accident cases, this deadline usually starts on the day the accident occurs, per the Legal Information Institute (LII).
You will want to keep these deadlines in mind as you choose a lawyer or law firm to represent you. Doing so can help you stay on schedule and keep the goal of finding a good car accident lawyer at the forefront of your mind. Your search may take some time, so you must factor that into your legal action plan.
If you miss the deadline that applies to your case, you risk losing your opportunity to recover awards that could cover your losses.
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Car accident cases are not always simple matters, especially when severe injuries and serious damage are involved. Having a lawyer can give you peace of mind. They can look out for your interests by helping you keep track of how much time you have to work on your case.
A car accident lawyer can help you pursue a claim with the liable driver’s insurance company. Based on the evidence from your accident, your lawyer can build a case that proves liability and explains why you are seeking compensation from the party that caused your accident.
If an insurer offers a settlement that is too low, your lawyer can negotiate to get you a fair award.
A Car Accident Lawyer Can Calculate Your Losses
A car accident lawyer can also help you calculate the cost of your losses, accounting for both economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages have a dollar amount that you can prove. Your medical statements, car repair invoices, receipts, and other relevant paperwork can establish how much money you are owed for these losses.
Non-economic damages do not have a fixed or tangible dollar amount. These types of damages can include:
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Past and future mental anguish
- Permanent disability and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Non-economic damages show how your accident has affected you in other ways that do not involve money. These expenses can be challenging to put a dollar amount on, but a lawyer can help you calculate those losses accurately.
Complete a Free Case Review form now
Call Today for a Free Consultation
Finding a good car accident lawyer goes beyond just hiring a professional who knows the law. You should feel like you can trust the individual and their team to treat you well. You also should have confidence in their abilities to help you pursue the legal options that could help you win your case.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you with your car accident case, call (702) 707-5934.