What to Do If You are Injured in a Dog Bite Attack
How Common Are Dog Bite Attacks?
Imagine enjoying a peaceful walk in your neighborhood when suddenly, out of nowhere, a dog lunges at you and bites you. The pain is excruciating, and you are left with physical and emotional scars.
Unfortunately, dog bite attacks are more common than you might think, and they can have serious consequences.
In the United States, over 4.4 million people suffer from dog bites each year, with around 800,000 requiring medical attention. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, it's crucial to know your rights and take the appropriate steps to protect yourself.
What Should I Do if I Am Attacked and Bitten by a Dog?
A dog bite attack may entitle you to compensation for your injuries and related damages. However, the legal process can be complex, so it's important to have a basic understanding of the steps involved.
1. Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being should always be your top priority. After a dog bite, seek medical attention immediately so that doctors can ensure that your injuries are properly treated and documented. This step is crucial for both your recovery and any potential legal claims.
2. Gather Evidence: Collect as much evidence as possible to support your case. Take photographs of your injuries, the location of the incident, and any visible signs of negligence, such as broken fences or lack of warning signs. Additionally, gather the contact information from any witnesses who can provide statements about the incident.
3. Report the Incident: Contact the local animal control organization or police department to report the dog bite attack. This step is essential for public safety and can help establish a paper trail of the incident.
4. Consult with an Experienced Lawyer: To ensure you receive fair compensation, consult with a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer who specializes in such cases. They will guide you through the legal process and protect your rights.
What Are the Relevant Laws in Nevada?
Dog bite laws vary between states, so it's important to understand the specific regulations in your jurisdiction. In Nevada, the law regarding dog bites is based on the legal theory of strict liability, which means that dog owners are held responsible for any injuries caused by their pets.
Nevada Revised Statute 202.500 states that if a dog bites someone who is lawfully on the property, the owner is liable for any damages caused by the bite. This statute applies whether the bite occurs on the owner's property or in a public place.
Nevada follows a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including dog bite cases, so you have two years from the date of the incident to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for your injuries. Your case can be dismissed if you fail to meet this deadline.
How Much Compensation Can I Get?
Determining the potential settlement amount in a dog bite case can be challenging, as it depends on various factors. There have been a few notable dog bite cases that resulted in settlements in the millions.
While each case is unique, an experienced lawyer will assess the specific details of your situation and work to get the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Are Some Other Related Legal Concerns?
Beyond seeking compensation for your injuries, there are other legal concerns you may encounter after a dog bite attack. These include:
1. Insurance Claims: If the dog owner has homeowner's insurance, you may be able to file a claim with their insurance company. An experienced lawyer can help you through this process and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
2. Comparative Negligence: In some cases, the dog owner may suggest that you are partially responsible for the attack. Nevada follows a comparative negligence rule, so compensation may be reduced if you are found partially at fault. Having a skilled lawyer on your side is essential to protecting your rights.
3. Emotional Distress: Dog bite attacks can cause significant emotional distress, including anxiety, fear, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). In addition to physical injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for the emotional toll the incident has taken on your life.
How Can an Experienced Lawyer Help?
Navigating the legal process after a dog bite attack can be overwhelming, especially when dealing with physical and emotional trauma. An experienced lawyer specializing in dog bite cases can provide invaluable assistance in many ways:
1. Legal Expertise: A knowledgeable lawyer will guide you through the legal process, making sure you understand your rights and options. They will manage all legal aspects of your case, including gathering evidence, negotiating with insurance companies, and representing you in court if necessary.
2. Maximizing Compensation: An experienced lawyer will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. They will review the extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress, to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
3. Peace of Mind: Dealing with the aftermath of a dog bite attack can be stressful and emotionally draining. By hiring a lawyer, you can focus on your recovery and trust that a legal professional is advocating for your rights and best interests.
If you are injured in a dog bite attack, call High Stakes Injury Law at (702) 707-5934 for a free case evaluation. An experienced lawyer can provide the support you need to get justice and the compensation you deserve.
“After being in an accident my friend told me to call High Stakes Injury Law. A lawyer named Brian came to my home to meet with me and started my claim immediately. The legal team was extremely efficient, responded back to me quickly, listened to my concerns, and handled everything with speed and accuracy. Every step of the way was communicated. I received my settlement in 10 months’ time. I highly recommend using Berstein and Poisson. Thank you for helping get my life back on track.”
“If you are in need of a wonderful law firm to handle your personal injury case please read this. Three years ago I was that person. I had never filed a lawsuit in the 30 years that I lived in Las Vegas Nevada… trust in this firm, they will not disappoint you and you will feel the confidence that you need to feel in your attorney.”
“Excellent service. I was in a car accident, and from the very beginning all the way to the end, they answered all my questions and guided me step by step. The communication was phenomenal. This firm really took care of me. I highly recommend High Stakes Injury Law.”
“Very professional and friendly. A hassle-free process from the beginning. Very easy to communicate with, unlike some law firms that won’t even return your calls. I would definitely use their services again if needed.”