What is the Average Settlement for Concussion in a Car Accident?
There is no average settlement value for a concussion in a car accident, as these cases can be quite different in terms of how they affect an accident victim’s health and their wallet.
However, the total cost of treating your injuries will be a major consideration when your case’s value is established. Other factors that help determine your case’s worth are the ways they’ve affected your life, such as your ability to work in the short and long term.
How Much Does It Cost to Diagnose and Treat a Concussion?
A concussion is a mild form of traumatic brain injury (TBI), according to MedlinePlus. While those who suffer concussions may be likely to heal from their symptoms, others do not.
Information from Washington State University (WSU) notes that mild TBIs should not be considered low-cost, however. According to Northwestern University, the long-term cost associated with recovering from a TBI is between $85,000 and $3 million.
MedlinePlus notes that those recovering from a concussion may need to:
- Have imaging scans to check for brain bleeding and other complications
- Rest and limit physical activity as much as possible
- Avoid activities that require concentration, including computer work
For those who have been told to avoid mentally or physically strenuous activity, this can entail missed days from work and income losses, furthering the financial burden of healing.
Recoverable Damages for a Concussion After a Car Accident
If your concussion resulted from a car accident, you could recover any of the costs required to treat your injuries. These expenses can include past and future medical costs such as:
- Diagnostic testing
- Physical therapy
- Visits to the emergency room and other doctors
- And more
Because TBI sufferers may have to miss work in order to rest and recover, you could also recover lost income, including:
- Past lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Lost tips and bonuses
Other damages may include:
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Property damage costs regarding the repair or replacement of your vehicle
Make Sure You’re Getting a Fair Settlement Offer
If you’re already being contacted by insurance companies after your car accident, they may have made you an offer. However, you may want to speak with someone from our office before you accept any early offers from an insurer.
As tempting as it can be to close the case and receive your settlement check as soon as possible, we recommend that you:
- See what kinds of treatments your doctor may recommend to achieve maximum medical improvement.
- Wait to see how your injuries respond to treatment.
- Get a sense of how long you may have to miss work.
- Determine if you’ll be able to return to work in your full, former capacity.
It’s important to understand how your injuries will affect you in both the short term and long term before accepting a settlement. If your injuries end up costing you more money later, you won’t be able to go back to the liable party and file another claim or suit.
We will work to ensure that you seek as much compensation as you need to recover and replace any wages you lost after the accident.
Follow Through with All the Treatment Your Doctor Recommends
We encourage you to follow through with your doctor’s orders after an accident because:
- Getting treated can help increase your chances of recovering physically
- Documenting that you were injured after an accident can clearly link your injury to the crash
- Following through with treatment can show the long-term effects of your injuries
The more costly your injuries are to treat, the higher the settlement amount you can typically seek. If you’re concerned about the cost of medical care before receiving your settlement, speak to someone from our office for advice on how to proceed.
We Have Obtained Millions for Our Clients, and We will Fight for You Too
Our team is proud of the hundreds of millions of dollars we have recovered for our clients. We can tell you what your case is worth, negotiate on your behalf, and work to help you seek the best possible results.
Some of our past clients have commented:
- “I’m thoroughly blown away by the customer focus that High Stakes Injury Law’s office staff and attorneys provided to me. They treated me with dignity, care, superior professionalism, and personalized prompt service… I’d recommend the office of High Stakes Injury Law to anyone any time…”
- “I was in a sideswipe collision, and I have to give High Stakes Injury Law five stars! Brian, Jack, Sabina, and the whole team there helped me tremendously… I received the medical help that I needed, and all my bills were paid off, plus they always responded to me when needed.”
Call Our Attorneys Today to Learn More
Your first case review is free, and it costs nothing to get started on your case. We will help you learn more about the average car accident settlement for concussion cases similar to yours. You don’t have to pursue compensation alone.
Call us today at (702) 707-5934.